Skip to main content

Running with Brooks


Facial Pain
IT'S been a long, tiring month. Getting back to work with an unbearable sinusitis facial pains that had intensified over the weeks had kept me away from here. But thanks to the new doctor I'm seeing, the past few days have been better. Well, apart from being an eye candy (he gets me nervous with his Mona Lisa smile), he is one who listens before prescribing meds that go with my needs and lifestyle. Not the usual horrible anti-histamines, antibiotics and nasal sprays that come with tenacious side-effects my other doctors had been giving me the last couple of years!

With that new hope, I've just joined a running club - Brooks Running Club in Ipoh. So yes, naturally every member is a Brooks believer. I was first introduced to the line of shoes by my Uncle Nat, who is also a club member. Nat's been running with Brooks for many years now. Back then, I couldn't fathom the idea of wearing such ugly designs and colours. Mind you, Brooks women's range has some of the unsportiest colours I've ever seen. And sadly it's still true till today. I could only hope that they'd pick up some refreshing design ideas from Nike or something. A simple thing like shoes in pastels could be phycologically de-motivating for some people such as myself. I like edgy, sporty colours when it comes to sports wear, especially shoes. Anyways, after a string of bad shoe experiences, I decided to give Brooks a try. Having tried the full range, technology spoke for itself. It was easy to disregard its looks over comfort! Fell in love with it and invested in my first Trance in 2009. I have a recorded distance of 1200km with that pair, and I ran five races with it last year. Trance gives the best support and helps to get and stay in my zone for a good time. It's like being in a trance, really. I can't ask for more, can I? For someone who dreads running, the shoes make running seem like freedom.

Trance 10
Of course at the club, we get a good discount :) I just bought my second pair of Trance and can't wait to start serious training for my next run in July. I think joining the club is a great getaway from home whenever I am back here. Although I enjoy training alone, running with others who have interesting stories to tell is inspiring. Headed by Coach Alvin, daily training sessions are held at the quiet Thompson Pine neighbourhood, near Taman Rekreasi Sultan Abdul Aziz or better known as the Polo Ground. Members who come for training are of all races and ages. Mothers and daughters. Sons and fathers. Senior citizens. Teenage friends who focus on races. Individuals. Varied personal reasons.

For the first time this year, I'd be running in a charity relay run for AIDS awareness tomorrow. A short, less than 2km distance on my part to get in the zone again! Not forgetting the new meds - my head is free of pains at the moment (although it simply may be on a standby mode now - too soon to speak, but I can't help it nevertheless).

Comments

  1. Your new doctor sounds like gold dust and it's ironic that you call him "eye candy" given that your profile picture keeps getting cuter. Do you swap interesting stories while you're running?

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad u r back on track .. with such great improvement! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's my Twitter profile pic, and I like it too. Thanks! Actually GB, I don't do the talking. I ask one question and these people can talk without panting while maintaining a steady pace, unlike me. That's why I like running alone. No panting. No pressure. I have weak lungs! Still adapting to running :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Shirley. I certainly feel better now without the one-sided headaches :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, l love running. I envy those who can wear those sexy Nike/Adidas designs. I have wonky feet so wear super-orthopaedic trainers that look like they belong to an 80 year old. And then spray paint them neon.Hope the training is going well! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. N 11: Welcome ! Yes I love those vibrant Nike/ Adidas designs too. At one point Fila had some fresh, edgy ones too, but hv gone boring now. Oh well. End of day, ppl like us who are into running wld succumb to ugly trainers just to be able to run :) we get a good high from it!
    Btw, I also fear the sea n jelly fish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Award on Oscar Day

THANKS for the Kreativ Blogger award on Oscar Day,  Queen Bee . It is sweet to pin a badge like this here and since this is my first award, it's all the more sweet.  With this, I'm required to list out ten random things about myself and later tag six other favourite bloggers.  Let's start with the 10 Random Things :)  1) Diamonds are not for me.  I admire jewelry (fine or otherwise) but I'm not in love with them enough to want to own them. My favourite jewelry is a pair of white pearl stud earrings.  2) I drink water for breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner. It's just a good habit I can't break. I usually write with a bottle of water next to me instead of a mug of coffee.  3) I love balms . Nothing calms me better than a nice balm. It reminds me of my grandma, clears my mind, and puts me to sleep.  4) I keep a hammer in my bedroom.  It came in handy TWICE when the lock jammed. I broke it and set me free. My mother was petrified with the knowledge that m

From Doha, With Love : Minimal Changes

SO I've been to Doha a few times already by now. Minimal or no changes at all on this flat land of sand and sandstorms, except that the population seemed to have increased by god-knows-how-many-folds judging from the volume of people seen at the popular Souk Waqif in the city centre two days ago. It's like people have multiplied like the sea sands. The last few times I was there, I remember liking the place for what it was - a perfect venue to people-watch, smoke Shisha and be a tourist. Now I don't know if that's a good thing... ...if there aren't enough social venues for this astounding volume! Perhaps, I'm a little spoiled coming from a city where food is available 24 hours a day, with freedom of alcohol consumption at random bistros and cafes and to do just about everything I wished for in a cultural setting that doesn't stare at me like I'm some kind of a three-eyed monster. I suppose people here are just a curious bunch given the potpourri of

Me, Myself and I

LOVELY Miss  Azra  has tagged me. It's fun once in a while to do this sort of thing and questions here seem doable too. I'll try to keep my answers short and sweet, resisting the urge to ramble since it's all about Me, Myself and I ! 1. What is your favourite saying, or motto ?  It doesn't matter. Don't worry about it.  Basically, I just try to see the positives in most shitty situations. Realistically.   2. What is your dream job ?  It ranges from being a tour guide, a travel writer and a secret agent to a medical rep, a rose picker for Chanel gardens in France and an English teacher to those under 12. I'm allergic to teenagers. 3. What part of the world do you have little interest in travelling to ? And which part of the world is next on your list ?  I have little interest in Jakarta and Bangladesh, or any place where the temperature is -45 Deg Celcius for most of the year.  My dream destination is Africa. Next on list is either Africa or New York